July 30 2020 GM
- Four Hong Kong student activists arrested for 'secession' over social media posts. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/29/asia/hong-kong-security-law-election-intl-hnk/index.html
- Doing Data Science with Ethics Discussion is now available. https://hasgeek.com/fifthelephant/making-data-science-work-session-4/updates/summary-of-the-session-privacy-ethics-and-data-XsdUastkrKNVc72TFFi43L
- Malaysian ex-PM Najib Razak given 12 years in jail in 1MDB scandal https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/27/malaysian-ex-pm-najib-arrives-in-court-for-graft-v/
Topic of Discussion: Self-care
Folks are feeling overwhelmed and burned out by all the problems and threats that are happening at once, and the daily challenges such as the new digital gatherings and work panorama, the need of moving, or the individual economic impact. This is why we are dedicating this Glitter Meetup to self-care.
For defying our needs, we can check if we identify as any of these roles, in all three of them, there is a lot of guilt and also heavy heart, because people care so much:
- The Caretaker: “It’s more important to help others, I’ll be ok!”
- The Superhero: “I should be able to cope, I’m strong!”
- The Task-rabbit: “I don’t have time to rest, I’m too busy!”
Basic activities for creating a self-care routine based on these three steps:
- Taking a step back from everything, what are things that make you happy? Think back to your happiest moments. Did they have anything in common?
- Some examples: Taking to friends and family, taking care of my body, music/dance, nature, watching movies, knitting.
- Resilience is building self-care into our daily lives, so we don't reach burnout. Looking at your list, what are things you can do on a daily basis to incorporate more "happiness" into your life?
- Some examples: make it a point to spend 15 minutes a day taking in the sun, without a phone, and just closing my eyes. Schedule a call with two friends every week. Put music and dance. Eat fruit and drink tea, and make it something ceremonial.
- Think about the things you are grateful for!