March 25 2021 GM
Glitter Meetup is the weekly town hall of the Internet Freedom community at the IFF Square on the IFF Mattermost, at 9am EST / 2pm UTC. Do you need an invite? Learn how to get one here.
@ March 30 | Q&A with Circumvention Lead at Tor About Snowflake https://digitalrights.formstack.com/forms/cks37
@ March 31 | Latin America Monthly Meetup https://internetfreedomfestival.org/wiki/index.php/Latin_American_Monthly_Meetups
@ April 7 | Africa Meetup https://internetfreedomfestival.org/wiki/index.php/Africa_Monthly_Meetups
@ April 8 | Glitter Meetup: Relaynet, a tool for Internet Blackouts https://internetfreedomfestival.org/wiki/index.php/April_8_2021_GM
@ April 15 | MENA Meetup https://internetfreedomfestival.org/wiki/index.php/MENA_Monthly_Meetups
- The Glitter Meetup launches a new section, “The Accessibility Corner” where Karen Reilly, Accessibility Lead of Team CommUNITY will share knowledge regarding Accessibility each week.
- Sounds of Mozilla’s Internet Health Report
- Access Now’s Report on Data protection issues in the SWANA region, surveillance and Covid-19
- Great report by Pollicy on feminist data in sub-Saharan Africa
- Journalists digisec guides' comparative study
Accessibility Tip of the Week:
- Alt text! It's a way to make your content accessible to people with low or no vision.
- it's a short description that gets read out by text to voice software
- It can also be helpful for people using mobile phones
- Since folks can't see the images, then the alt text is a description of the image
- It is useful too when you have low connectivity and images won't load
- Alt text is also important when people post screenshots of text.
- Regine Gilbert is a professor who teaches accessible design, and her book has a chapter titled something like "If it's annoying, it's probably not accessible"
- Accessibility testing is best when you involve people who use assistive tech like screen readers, but if you want to try a screen reader, Mac and iOS have VoiceOver built in, the accessibility settings in Android have a screen reader, NV Access is open source software for Windows, and there's Orca for Linux.
- It's a feature on many social networks, like Twitter
- Here's a resource about alt text: Webaim
- The Worst Autoloading Sound Ever - The Media Show
- Check JSON for physical accessibility
- We talked about our needs, and how are we feeling in the community
- People need Job Fairs, career advice spaces, coaching spaces
- We see that we work with many hats and it is difficult to focus on one area or set up a strategy to find a job
- Organizations usually have job offers that would need three different professionals
- Industry job definitions are so often not the same as NGO job definitions, and so going across that divide is hard.
- Financial advice for short-term contractors
- Ask a Manager’s blog for resume/cover letter advice