October 19 2022, Africa Meetup
Date: Wednesday, October 19th
Time: 3pm SAST / 1pm UTC / 4pm EAT / 9am EDT
Who: Facilitated by Mardiya & Tawanda
Where: BigBlueButton link will be shared in the following rooms on the IFF Mattermost one or two hours before the start of the meeting: Sub-Saharian Africa.
- Don't have an account to the IFF Mattermost? you can request one following the directions here.
Notes: Please put notes here: https://pad.riseup.net/p/africa-meetup
- Tomorrow commemorates two years after the Nigerian government shot protesters at the Lekki tollgate.
- People are planning to protest, there is push back from the government however, young people are still planning activities to commemorate the Lekki toll gate massacre.
- Send your support and solidarity to young Nigerians.
- A new wave of technology lay off, and if we know anyone hiring for community management roles, or digital security roles please share with Bobkevin
- He is in the process of completing a concept note on his blockchain idea and engaging the community with the idea for support and communities.
- Zimbabwe is preparing for next year's elections, both for the best and the worst.
- They are hopeful that the process will go without any threats however still building resilient systems to address the threats.
- Nigeria is preparing for elections, and there is a lot of misinformation and defamations happening in the media.
- Young people have been proactive throughout this election. They are hopeful because there are new candidates who are not part of the existing political parties however, the new candidate is being discredited by the older candidates online.
- Organizations now can register as lgbtqi in Nigeria.
- Activists should consider how they can restrategize during the periods of ‘silence’.
- For example, lgbtqi have been targeted in Tanzania, and while active threats have been reduced it is an opportunity to consider alternative ways to protect the community and organize.
- A job centered community within the African community as well. The DRC job board is a good resource center.
- It is time to start a whole new onboarding process, and onboarding new people to the digital rights community because some of the people who exist have been there for some time
- List of tools and co-creating a living tool list , kit, resources and contextualized digital security measures.