April 22 2021 GM
From IFF Wiki
Revision as of 16:41, 8 June 2021 by Iffadmin
Glitter Meetup is the weekly town hall of the Internet Freedom community at the IFF Square on the IFF Mattermost, at 9am EDT / 1pm UTC. Do you need an invite? Learn how to get one here.
- Folks can now send their updates for Team CommUNITY's weekly digital rights newsletter via a form: https://www.digitalrights.community/weekly-newsletter
- Doctors Without Borders Implores US, EU to Stop Blocking Vaccine Patent Waiver [article here]
- The aviation industry took a hit in 2020 because of covid19. Historically there is usually a surge in leisure activities after major financial/health crisis, that should mean much higher levels of flying comparing before. And as a lot of pilots were laid off, which means eventually they are going to retire because pilots careers depend on seniority in airlines (unless you work as a corporate pilot) that will mean the need to hire a lot of new pilots which is not something you can just throw money at.
- Facebook announced it has broken up a hacker network used by President Mahmoud Abbas' intelligence service in an attempt to keep tabs on journalists, human rights activists and government critics.
- Israeli cyber firm NSO negotiates with Jordanian intelligence
- Rising Flame is a group based in Mumbai with some great articles and events on disability and accessibility.
Brainstorming on resources that we need
- Some community members shared an interest in starting a walking buddy system, where folks can take walks with each other virtually or in person
- Folks expressed an interest in having more resources and training on nonprofit management. They want more career development for "non-profit professionals"including but not limited to operations, administration. There is also a thread in the MENA channel about these needs.
- OrgOrg, it’s a community for admin & HR and a lot of nonprofit as well as tech people are in it. it may be US centric: https://www.orgorg.co/
- Team CommUNITY wants to know what folks want or need in regards to psychosocial care.
- Folks want more information and training for developers in regards to how to better protect visitors privacy, as well as hear from open source projects who can share how they built a community and sustainability. This is a good resource for web developers wanting to learn about privacy: https://edri.org/our-work/ethical-web-dev-2/ web developers
- The use of Google fonts look like google analytics that you use on your webpage provide those external services information about your visitors. Google web services gather information about your visitors with those apps. The font gets requested by the visitor from Google, so Google Analytics gets their IP address. The fonts are not on your webserver, but on the google server. so each user downloads it from there It is the same when you add a facebook 'like' button. if your visitors is using a normal browser, and is logged in on facebook on another window, facebook can see they are also visiting that page.
- Matomo is an alternative to google analytics.