April 22 2021 GM
From IFF Wiki
Revision as of 16:31, 8 June 2021 by Iffadmin
Glitter Meetup is the weekly town hall of the Internet Freedom community at the IFF Square on the IFF Mattermost, at 9am EDT / 1pm UTC. Do you need an invite? Learn how to get one here.
- Folks can now send their updates for Team CommUNITY's weekly digital rights newsletter via a form: https://www.digitalrights.community/weekly-newsletter
- Doctors Without Borders Implores US, EU to Stop Blocking Vaccine Patent Waiver [article here]
- The aviation industry took a hit in 2020 because of covid19. Historically there is usually a surge in leisure activities after major financial/health crisis, that should mean much higher levels of flying comparing before. And as a lot of pilots were laid off, which means eventually they are going to retire because pilots careers depend on seniority in airlines (unless you work as a corporate pilot) that will mean the need to hire a lot of new pilots which is not something you can just throw money at.
- Facebook announced it has broken up a hacker network used by President Mahmoud Abbas' intelligence service in an attempt to keep tabs on journalists, human rights activists and government critics.
- Israeli cyber firm NSO negotiates with Jordanian intelligence
- Rising Flame is a group based in Mumbai with some great articles and events on disability and accessibility.
Brainstorming on resources that we need
- Some community members shared an interest in starting a walking buddy system, where folks can take walks with each other virtually or in person
- Folks expressed an interest in having more resources and training on nonprofit management. They want more career development for "non-profit professionals"including but not limited to operations, administration.
- OrgOrg, it’s a community for admin & HR and a lot of nonprofit as well as tech people are in it. it may be US centric: https://www.orgorg.co/
- Team CommUNITY wants to know what folks want or need in regards to psychosocial care.
- Folks want more information and training for developers in regards to how to better protect visitors privacy.
Issues and challenges that we need to focus on
- Career development for "non-profit professionals"
- Braistorm on what people want in regards to psychosocial services/care.
- Privacy for web developers - how to protect your visitors privacy
- How do we get countries to stop hoarding vaccines
- Hear from people who lead open source projects and can share how they built community & sustainability
- Nonprofit management: OrgOrg, it’s a community for admin & HR and a lot of nonprofit as well as tech people are in it. it may be US centric:
- For learning privacy for web developers
- Using Google fonts is a problem:
- google web services gather information about your visitors with those apps
- The font gets requested by the visitor from Google, so Google Analytics gets their IP address
- You will notice that Privacy Badger often blocks a Google fonts API
- The privacy badge helps the users that have it, but if the website is well done you dont have problems. you can always visit your own website with the privacy badger and see the results
- Matomo is a good alternative