July 29 2021 GM
Glitter Meetup is the weekly town hall of the Internet Freedom community at the IFF Square on the IFF Mattermost, at 9am EDT / 1pm UTC. Do you need an invite? Learn how to get one here.
- Unfinished Live, a conference whose theme is "The Future Is Decentralized". https://live.unfinished.com
- What is happening in Texas:
- The supreme court is going to hear a 15 week abortion ban from Mississippi this fall, and that’s the decision that folks think could overturn Roe V Wade. Because the Supreme Court could decide that it is OK to restrict abortions before viability. (Which lots of states already do, anyway, and so it’s important to note that Roe v. Wade’s promise of accessible abortion has never been a reality for many people, including people who need abortions after viability for a variety of reasons)
- (And the federal government also restricts abortion before viability, technically in violation of Roe, by restricting the first pill of the medication abortion, and with the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits federal funding of abortion - so people on Medicaid in most states, and people in the military, have a hard time accessing abortion)
- And then in Texas, we have a different law that is set to go into affect on September 1 that will allow anyone to sue anyone else in civil court who they suspect of “aiding and abetting an abortion”.
- There has been a lawsuit filed against it so hopefully it will be blocked, but if folks are able to file lawsuits, that can give them powers of legal discovery against abortion access orgs or just anyone they want to target, which is where the surveillance stuff comes in
- This is a good article that breaks down how absurd it is.
Imagine Being Together in 2023
Take a few minutes and think about, if we meet together in say 2023, where, how and what would it look like, the temperature, the environment, what do you see:
- Big projection screens where we can have people video call in and chat and we can see their beautiful faces. And a text backchannel like this too, with check-in times. All of this at an otherwise in-person event. There's always people who can't make it for whatever reason, and we miss them.
- A place on the beach that is self-contained, that they have all you can eat fruit buffets, and just imaging everyone on a terrace, sun bathing, and drinking cold ass lemonades and "aguas" and just not even talking, but just being physically with each other in relaxation and comfort.
- The seaside, lots of abrazos with the friends, also a closing session involving lots of dancing
- A garden, with a pig picnic.
- Mountains, nature, books, coffee, and laptops
- Cooking and amazeballs food to honour the relevance of this topic in our community
- Maybe a big screen with texts, the community networks people do these demostrations of text-based interaction at physical events
- The forest
- Batucadas, music workshops, dancing
- Mountain, sea, good seafood, forrest