May 20 2021 GM
Glitter Meetup is the weekly town hall of the Internet Freedom community at the IFF Square on the IFF Mattermost, at 9am EDT / 1pm UTC. Do you need an invite? Learn how to get one here.
@ May 26 | LATAM Meetup https://internetfreedomfestival.org/wiki/index.php/Latin_American_Monthly_Meetups
@ June 2 | Africa Meetup https://internetfreedomfestival.org/wiki/index.php/Africa_Monthly_Meetups
@June 3 | Algorithmic Diversity: Zero Exclusion, AI & Ethics (AI & Human Rights) https://internetfreedomfestival.org/wiki/index.php/June_3_2021_GM
@ June 9 | Nonprofit Management 101: Understanding the Basics of Running a Nonprofit https://digitalrights.formstack.com/forms/cks44
@ June 14 | CKS: Design, Human Rights, and Harm https://digitalrights.formstack.com/forms/cks43
- Campaigns with Paslestine:
- In Colombia, they have documented 120+ abuses against the press in 20 days.
- Security in a Box update: new checklists for security on /iOS and Mac
Accessibility Tip of the Week: When in doubt, make the button bigger.
- If you interact with it, make it a high contrast and make it bigger! This is for people with vision issues, and for people with motor disabilities - hard to control movements, shaking, or pain.
- Testing everything on mobile versions of browsers is important here. Assume that it’s taking a lot of effort to find and tap something, and you’ll make your sites a lot more accessible.
- Button text should be descriptive (not just “click here”). Imagine you’re tabbing through a website and every button says “read more” or “click here” - the screen reader won’t read everything around it, so there’s no way to know where the link goes
Community Health Village Brainstorming
- Nonprofit management sessions
- A workshop on how to navigate NGO work: how does research / advocacy works, how to improve your skills to get there
- We ought to be paying attention to the larger global discussion among managers right now, not just at NGOs--they are certainly having big game-changing discussions, and even if we don't want to adopt what corporations do we should be aware of what they're saying, as it's gonna impact us one way or another