May 20 2021 GM
Glitter Meetup is the weekly town hall of the Internet Freedom community at the IFF Square on the IFF Mattermost, at 9am EDT / 1pm UTC. Do you need an invite? Learn how to get one here.
- Campaigns with Paslestine:
- In Colombia, they have documented 120+ abuses against the press in 20 days.
- Security in a Box update: new checklists for security on /iOS and Mac
Accessibility Tip of the Week: When in doubt, make the button bigger.
- If you interact with it, make it a high contrast and make it bigger! This is for people with vision issues, and for people with motor disabilities - hard to control movements, shaking, or pain.
- Testing everything on mobile versions of browsers is important here. Assume that it’s taking a lot of effort to find and tap something, and you’ll make your sites a lot more accessible.
- Button text should be descriptive (not just “click here”). Imagine you’re tabbing through a website and every button says “read more” or “click here” - the screen reader won’t read everything around it, so there’s no way to know where the link goes
Community Health Village Brainstorming
- Nonprofit management sessions
- A workshop on how to navigate NGO work: how does research / advocacy works, how to improve your skills to get there
- We ought to be paying attention to the larger global discussion among managers right now regarding Covid19 changes, not just at NGOs--they are certainly having big game-changing discussions, and even if we don't want to adopt what corporations do we should be aware of what they're saying, as it's gonna impact us one way or another
- https://candid.org/ , which used to be the Foundation Center, has a lot of information up online! It is kind of the library of NGOs!
- https://www.managementcenter.org/ has a ton of free for NGO resources - including templates / questions for 1:1s, exit interviews, performance improvement conversations, etc. etc. that can be a good starting point beyond starting at a blank document that you don't want to write.
- At ThoughtWorks we introduced agile task walls to MSF, it seemed to go well.